1) Generously sprinkle your story with passion, knowledge, and detail. Write it as though no one has read the topic before.
2) If you've not laid your soul naked on the page, keep editing.
3) Write what you know fearlessly and what you don't know with curiosity and a yearning to know more.
4) Never cut corners when it comes to hiring a professional, book editor.
5) If you're writing about a particular topic that has protocol, slang, or certain procedures, ask if you can shadow a pro to learn more. If you're not true to the reader's profession (law enforcement, for example) they'll recognize the errors and, as a reader, never be back.