Ask Rusty Blackwood, Author a question

Rusty Blackwood, Author

Rusty Blackwood, Author

Suspense Contemporary Romance Women's Fiction
      • Rusty Blackwood, Author Rusty Blackwood, Author 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • It does feel somewhat strange knowing there are those who know who I am. It hasn't happened a lot, and when it happened the first time, it felt both exciting and strange at the same time. I believe any writer appreciates those who appreciate their work, it let's you know that your efforts are bringing attention to your work and hopefully entertainment to those who read it. I don't know if I would relish constant attention wherever I went, however, it is a nice feeling when it happens.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
        Follow
        Author
      • My favorite genre, and the one of which I am best known, is romance. However, I often think that many readers of this genre expect sugar and spice and all things nice, the exalted prince on his white steed rescuing the damsel in distress, and always happy endings. They somehow forget that romance is seldom like this, especially after trials and tribulations that many couples often face. I write my romance novels realistically, meaning that you may be discouraged or disappointed with my stories, especially the endings. I sometimes make them bitter-sweet, often leave them to the reader's imagination, but I never have the prince waking the sleeping beauty with a magic kiss. I like to read romance in the way I write it, and I very much enjoy a wonderful, sensual story that sweeps you right into it, yet I prefer it be as it often is, honest.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • Not really. I very much enjoyed writing, it was one of my favorite activities, but in the late 50's and early 60's the main career opportunities high-schools offered for young women looking towards their future, were secretary, nurse, or teacher. Anything else was either not considered, or badly discouraged, especially when it was thought a girl would simply marry, become a housewife, and mother. I'm glad that has changed.
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
        Follow
        Author
      • Of course I do, but when I do it is still written in a fictitious way. I often pull from my life experiences or base a story on such because I have lived it and therefore can write it both believably, and realistically.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I believe it is trying to let yourself 'feel' the way they would in any given situation, how they would react, and what they would say. I'm sure it's the same for any writer, male or female when it comes to writing the opposite gender. I try to write the male in the way or the light in which I see them. It also depends on the character's personality that I give them, their relationship to the story and or character's they are interacting with. Basically, I try to write them the way I would like them to be if they actually existed.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • Not be gullible. Don't be taken in by fast-talking 'agents or publishing reps' promising you instant success, stardom, and fortune. Proceed with a realistic outlook, and don't let people beat you down.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I believe there are many, but the one that I do not like nor agree with, is having the author sign their book-rights away in order to obtain a publishing contract. This is done in mainstream publishing; a standard house, where they then can then take the author's work, do whatever they wish, change it however they wish - good or bad - and the author's name is on the cover to be judged by the contents within. That is why I like and use self-publishing. You continue to reserve all rights to your work and I feel this is not only important, it is a must.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • A well thought out title and cover are a must in securing a reader's attention to the book. It should not only be interesting, it should instantly relay the contents of the story. It doesn't always have to be colorful, but it does have to capture the eye. As the synopsis on the back cover gives insight into the story, so should the front cover, and title.
      • like (1)
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
        Follow
        Author
      • I believe a lot depends on whether you choose fiction, or non fiction. If your choice is non fiction, be sure you research your topic, or subject thoroughly before you begin. If your choice is fiction, take time to let your imagination speak to you and listen when it does. This too requires research and the amount, depending of course on what genre you choose. Writing what you know about is very important. There is nothing more overwhelming than to undertake a topic of which you know nothing about, or have little to no experience within. Writing is time consuming, spent alone, and allowing your own company to become your best friend throughout the journey. If you find yourself bogging down and the next words will just not come, try stepping away for a while, take a break, go for a walk and remove yourself from your manuscript entirely. When you return, you will find that the time away had given you new perspective, and you will find a new avenue has opened for you to continue onward.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • First and foremost, I believe a writer must understand the subject or topic of what they are undertaking, and believe in their ability to bring it to fruition. A well constructed sentence without need of endless adjectives is a must, as is keeping the story moving without repetition. Developing interesting, and well-rounded main characters in the story, as well as supportive characters are most important. I also feel that a well-written, in depth, page-turning story is one that is told without the need to constantly a refer to a dictionary to understand what one is reading.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I became inspired to write through my elementary teacher, the late Mrs. Gladys Carroll's, endless encouragement to continue to let my imagination create unique stories with unforgettable characters. Apparently, she saw my ability to do so through the stories I would write in English compositions, and I am forever beholding to her for what she saw in me. I have always written, however, I didn't become a professional writer until 2001.
      • like (1)
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor