Ask Wendy Brown-Baez a question

Wendy Brown-Baez

Wendy Brown-Baez

Literary Fiction Poetry Advice & How To
      • Wendy Brown-Baez Wendy Brown-Baez 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • I spend time brooding and reflecting before I start writing but I have such a large accumulation of poems, stories, essays and novels already drafted that if I can't get anything new on the page, I can always choose something to work on. My favorite time to write is first thing in the morning, after I have had coffee, had quiet time either reading a poem or prayer, and have written in my journal. I do creative writing every day, even if it is a Facebook post.
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • A well-known writer once said the best time to revise your work is after it is published! My style has matured and deepened. I have more awareness of what will make sense to a reader instead of assuming they can see inside my brain! And I have learned to pare down emotional outpourings to tighten and focus.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
        Follow
        Author
      • My novel Catch a Dream was written as memoir. I had an "aha!" moment after attending the BookBaby writers' conference. Brooke Warner urged us to publish something, to get started, and work on a longer career trajectory. I thought to myself, "What is the one book I could publish right away?" I had gotten positive feedback from publishers who were interested in Catch a Dream but didn't accept it after all. Then another thought struck me, "What if I changed it to a novel? What if I changed the names of the main characters?" Everything fell into place after that, because instead of sharing my own story, which was complicated with a lot of backstory, I could step into being the story-teller.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
        Follow
        Author
      • My book Heart on the Page has an entire chapter about how to take care of ourselves when writing emotional material...and I believe that no matter what we are writing, it stirs the pot of self-awareness and reveals ourselves to ourselves--we draw from our memories and experiences. Most of all, balance the writing by doing things that take you out of your head, such as yoga, stretching or walking. Enjoy your senses: a massage, essential oils, music, or a visit to a museum. Or write something outside of your wheelhouse for fun: poetry, lyrics, fantasy. Write something that has the ending you wish for or envision a successful reading. Take breaks as needed but also remember you are doing what your spirit is calling you to do. It's worth it.
        Follow
        Author
      • Oh my goodness, there is nothing more gratifying than to know your work is reaching people. I love feeling connected via words. My motto is The shortest bridge between us is a story. It helps me keep going through the tough times when you start to feel self-doubt, when those rejection letters pile up and you feel daunted by the task of finding a publisher or editor!
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor