Ask Jo Ann Glim a question

Jo Ann Glim

Jo Ann Glim

Biographies & Memoirs History General Nonfiction
      • Jo Ann Glim Jo Ann Glim 3 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • The types of books that capture my heart are ones with a great story line, a twist you don't see coming, and characters who are challenged to rise above the turmoil in the story plot. The most important element in good writing, in my estimation is researching the subject matter. This applies to both fiction and non-fiction writers. For example, in the movie ET, do you remember when the alien tried to phone home? I don't know about you but I thought they just pulled a lot of silly stuff together for the scene. Not true. The movie moguls actually went to Bell Labs and asked them to build something that could work, using everyday, ordinary items you'd find around the house. I saw the actual machine at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, Illinois many years ago. I left that exhibit with a great deal of respect for the team that produced that movie.

You and I may never have to go to that extreme in our writing, but if you're developing a police story, know the subject matter completely. Invite law enforcement to critique the manuscript before you print. Because, if you're writing about them, they will be your biggest fans and if you've cut corners on your story line, they'll spot it immediately, and never come back.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 3 years ago
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
        Follow
        Author
      • I received a review from another writer many years ago for my first non-fiction book, "Begotten With Love." It answered this question beautifully. "Reads like fiction . . . but it's not." My favorite non-fiction books tell a story of real people in real situations, at specific times during history, and draw us as the reader into their world. That's what I love to read and I hope my writings also reflect that kind of story.
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • From my many conversations with other writers, I'd say we're an odd lot because our thought process is always activated. It could be as simple as describing the sound of water gurgling from a broken sprinkler head, to imprinting the look on the face of someone standing in a food line. I wrote a short story (published in the Florida Writers Association anthology, "What A Character)" that formed from my mind's collection of cherished trivia. The fictional character was inspired by a raggedly, old street musician I watched perform magic with filled water glasses outside a cathedral in Spain. I don't know about you, but my head is filled with snippets from life, much of it waiting to appear on a page in a book.

When I do sit down to write. I prefer working after everyone goes to bed and the house is quiet, however, I prefer editing during the day. Go figure! When I'm stressed, or blocked, or just need a break, I grab my camera and dog and head for the hiking trails. Most of the time, I use my own photography with my writings when I'm working on an article or a post. If you begin to follow me, you'll see both.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor