Ask Jess Vaughn a question

Jess Vaughn

Jess Vaughn

Women's Fiction Teen & Young Adult Children's Poetry General Nonfiction
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 3 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever experienced "Writer's Block"? Any tips you would like to share to overcome it?
    • like (1)
      • Jess Vaughn Jess Vaughn 3 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • Classical music, jazz and art inspire me. When I hear deep, poercing music like Beethoven, it opens up feelins which create stories or scenarios in my head. That either translates into poem or plot.

Also free writing really breaks through that wall. Writing whatever word, sentence or thought that comes to mind without too much thinking about it helps to open up ideas, often with things you didn't know you had in you coming out.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 3 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
    • like (1)
      • Jess Vaughn Jess Vaughn 3 years ago
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • I often work on multiple projects simultaneously. For work that is emotionally draining, like Cuts On Me, I had to break it up in batches - especially during recording for the audio book. If I was upset about something, I used that opportunity to go record... for the authenticity of the moment.

Going through those memories & feelings often left me exhausted & sad, so I allotted a specific amount of time or a number of poems to do in each session then I stopped. I either switched to some other more uplifting project, exercised, drank tea and sang or spent time with my family to reset myself emotionally.

You have to see the value in what you do in order to have the gumption to see such taxing work through to completion. Don't rush it. Allow yourself to feel it, purge it on paper then cleanse by changing gears. That's how I got it done.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor