Ask Grahame Peace a question

Grahame Peace

Grahame Peace

Historical Mystery Mystery Supernatural Suspense Historical Fiction Literary Fiction LGBT Humor Fantasy
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 5 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
      • Grahame Peace Grahame Peace 5 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • If you've decided to write then you feel you have something to say, or a story you think needs to be told, which is great. But do it because you want to tell your story, not because you want to get rich and be a famous author, that may happen, but it may not. Regarding the emotional side of it, getting emotional about your characters, I feel, is very important. As I've written some of my books I've had tears rolling down my cheeks, it often comes when I least expect it.

If you're writing about something very personal, you can do this through your characters it can be quite cathartic. People who know you, may recognize you in the character, but most won't, so don't be afraid to go there. I guess it depends on the kind of genre you're writing in. Writing is lonely, and getting objective feedback can be hard, people have to get your book, some will, others won't. As a writer, you should never stop learning, it's a journey.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • Coming up with the idea. I use a lot of historical fact in my books which I mix with fantasy. I have to find an historic event(s) I can build on, it takes time, but once I find the right thing, it usually leads onto other historical finds which help to build and create the story.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I think it's very important, but it doesn't necessarily generate book sales. It's a highly competitive over-crowded market out there. Anything you can do to make your book stand out is a good thing. I use a company based in the USA called JD&J Book Cover Design, they have been great to work with.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • Writing is a huge learning experience, I never stop learning, as I write each book I learn something new. I also read a lot, which helps me greatly, looking at all the different writing styles. Of course, you want each book to be as perfect as it can be, you do the best you can at the time of writing it, then you have to let it go and move on to the next. My writing has definitely improved and hopefully it will go on improving.
      • like (1)
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • I find my book genres hard to define, all my books contain an element of humour. I write paranormal-historical-mysteries, I have a series called The Ghost from the Molly-House. I also write humorous fashion fiction. I would describe my fashion fiction as coming of age, they are touching but also amusing tales. They are about life, so there are highs and lows.
      • like (1)
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
        Follow
        Author
      • Yes, all the time, I use my personal experiences and observations, just like I use people I've met and know for traits in the characters in my books. My new book A Journey into Fashion (The Dressing Room) although a work of fiction, includes some of my experiences and observations, some of it was hard to write.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • A whole new industry has grown around writing, you are inundated with people offering all sorts of writing and marketing services for a price, you have to be very careful. I think the worst practice is people asking for money to review your books. I was approached by one person (who shall remain nameless) who wanted £50 to review my book, promising to put it on their website and other book sites. It's hard to build a name for yourself as an author and there are a lot of people praying on new authors and the only people making any money out of it are them. New writers/authors beware.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I have been writing for 5 years, I started writing once I'd retired from my career with the National Health Service in England. I'd always enjoyed writing, particularly about my home town of Huddersfield, my writing grew from there.
      • like (1)
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor