Ask James L. Rickard a question

James L. Rickard

James L. Rickard

Action & Adventure Historical Fiction Literary Fiction Science Fiction
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 3 years ago
      Allauthor
    • If you could choose three people to invite for a dinner party, who would they be and why?
      • James L. Rickard James L. Rickard 3 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • This is sort of related to a prior question. My answer is a definite YES because I've really tried to veer away from the Salinger thing in case it was true. As the years have gone by, I think I've developed my own style and voice.
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
        Follow
        Author
      • Of course! I nearly always incorporate events from my life. The events have never been an entire story, they are definitely in there. The only time I haven't included a few morsels of my life into a story is Treasure of the Ant People.
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever experienced "Writer's Block"? Any tips you would like to share to overcome it?
        Follow
        Author
      • I think women are misrepresented in many stories, movies, or TV programs. Basically, we all want the same things--health, companionship, serenity, there are probably more but I can come up with those three off the top of my head. When it comes down to it, a crossed woman is just as dangerous and a man.
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
        Follow
        Author
      • Don't go make yourself crazy by thinking you MUST write for hours on end, Begin slowly, maybe only 15 minutes a day. Writing is a lot like lifting weights, you have to work to get from A to Z.
      Allauthor
    • How do you think concepts such as Kindle, and e-books have changed the present or future of reading?
        Follow
        Author
      • I would say it's changed for the best. First of all, you don't have to run out to the book store to pick up your reading material. You can read anything you like on your phone, tablet, etc. Secondly, I'm old enough that I began playing that game where you mailed off your story, waited a month or two, and THEN found out if the magazine or publisher liked your manuscript. Thanks to e-books or Kindle, we no longer have to put up with stupidity like that.
        Follow
        Author
      • All told, unfortunately, I think it's less. Today's kids, raised on video games lack the attention span for a long story. On top of that, they don't develop critical thinking or the ability to discern contrasting situations. However, I don't blame kids, it's society and the way they're taught in school.
        Follow
        Author
      • I'm not sure what actually inspired me. I've been writing since I was around 7-8. I began writing what was thinly veiled fan fiction, starring myself and my friends, and it took off from there.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor