Ask Lauren Kramer-Theuerkauf a question

Lauren Kramer-Theuerkauf

Lauren Kramer-Theuerkauf

Children's
      • Lauren Kramer-Theuerkauf Lauren Kramer-Theuerkauf 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • Yes! I've always envisioned writing as my career/full-time profession. I love writing so much that I've never considered doing anything else with my life. Writing is a part of me that I can never ignore. Stories are constantly flowing through me and I can't wait to share them with the world!
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I feel that the most unethical practice in the publishing industry is making authors pay for reviews. This negates the very purpose of a review: getting honest feedback from the readers. Those who are paid to review books will feel compelled to write a glowing review even if the story isn't very good. This creates a dishonest relationship between the reviewer and his/her followers. Reviews should be organic and honest.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • A good cover and title are essential to the success of a book. When I shop for books, the cover is the first thing that I notice. If there is an image of a dog or cat on the front, I'm automatically going to pick it up to see what the story is about. I'm also drawn to catchy or unique titles. If a title can grab my attention, I will bypass the cover art completely. However, I think that for children's picture books (which is my genre) both the title and cover are crucial to its success. The cover is the first thing that children will see and it's what will drive their desire to ask their parents to buy the book.
      • like (1)
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
        Follow
        Author
      • Writing children's picture books is hard work! While the stories are typically within the confines of 32 pages, each page packs an emotional punch. As a picture book author, it is my job to write a complete story with a fully developed character who is able to solve his/her problem by the 32nd page. Additionally, I have to not be too descriptive in my writing as I must leave room for the illustrator to let his/her creativity shine. While the page count is small, the writing process is still the same as with a novel.
      • like (1)
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever experienced "Writer's Block"? Any tips you would like to share to overcome it?
        Follow
        Author
      • Yes, I often experience Writer's Block! My best tip is to walk away. Nothing good ever comes from trying to force a story. Go for a walk. Listen to music. Grab a coloring book and play with colors. Taking your mind off of the story can help to remove the very block that is preventing its flow.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • Yes, I always read my book reviews. While reviews are always subjective, I like to know what my readers are thinking. For good reviews, I try to reach out to the reviewer with a personal thank you. I'm truly honored that they have taken the time to not only read my book, but to craft a review about it as well. Bad reviews give me perspective on how I can improve my writing. I never take a bad review personally, but try to read it from a craft point-of-view. If the reviewer is providing constructive criticism, I'm appreciative for the feedback and opportunity to work on any perceived weaknesses in my writing.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • To me, literary success would mean creating and selling stories that touch the lives of my readers. I want to write stories that will stand the test of time and be read for years to come. I would love for one of my books to truly touch someone's life and become their favorite book of all time.
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
        Follow
        Author
      • The most important elements of good writing are originality, heart, and authenticity. Originality is key because, as an author, it is our job to create stories that stand out among the crowd. These are the stories that will stick with readers for years to come. Heart is crucial to every piece of writing. More than just emotion, heart speaks to the very essence of the characters and fuels their desires and determination to achieve their goals. Authenticity speaks to the experiences of the author. Pieces of an author's life are woven into every story that he/she tells. As writers, we rely on our life experiences to create stories that are meaningful, impactful, and authentic. In my opinion, these are the most important elements of good writing.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I have always loved writing ever since I was a little girl. I used to write my own fairy tale newspapers that followed the lives of the glamorous princesses after their happily ever afters. In third grade, I won my first Young Authors Award for my original story, "The Dancing Doll." I was completely stunned when I won another Young Authors Award in seventh grade for my historical story, "The Note in the Bottle." I knew that writing was in my blood. In college, I went on to major in Journalism with a minor in English. I have been writing for 30 years.
      • like (1)
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor