Ask Sean Robins a question

Sean Robins

Sean Robins

Science Fiction
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • If you could choose three people to invite for a dinner party, who would they be and why?
      • Sean Robins Sean Robins 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • My favorite author is Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files), which is probably how I ended up writing in a first-person POV with the same light-hearted, funny tone as he does. The fact that my MC’s name is Jim is purely coincidental though.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I met two teenagers the other day who came to take a photo and told me my book was "unputdownable." I've never been more proud in my life:)
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • My aunt says when I was 10 years old, she asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, and I said I wanted to be a writer. I was a bookworm even then:)
      • like (1)
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
        Follow
        Author
      • Yes! My main character has OCD, and he deals with it in a most hilarious manner. He calls the voice in his head "Venom", and keeps arguing with it:)
      • like (1)
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever experienced "Writer's Block"? Any tips you would like to share to overcome it?
        Follow
        Author
      • I haven't got a bad one yet, but I will probably sit down and cry for a couple of hours. The good ones make me extremely happy, and I normally try to find the reviewer and send them a thank you message.
        Follow
        Author
      • It's super easy. I just base them on the women I know in my life. For example, Oksana is based on my wife, who is also Ukranian. She says, "You totally 'thiefed' (!!) my story!"
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • These days, I keep getting messages from people who read my book, telling me how much they enjoyed it. Moreover, I keep getting very nice reviews both on Amazon and Goodreads. For me, that's it. Few things in life make me happier than hearing people telling me they like The Crimson Deathbringer (I know, I totally have to get a life!).
        Follow
        Author
      • "Start writing right the hell now!!"

I really wish I had started a decade earlier. In my defense, I'm a university teacher and my job does take most of my time:(
        Follow
        Author
      • Characters! Characters! Characters! If you have interesting characters, people will read your book even if you have a mediocre plot, but not the other way around.reportdelete
        Follow
        Author
      • I have got purely obsessional OCD. What this means is a thought enters my mind--usually something negative--and doesn't leave. I end up having to think about it 5000 times a day, and once this starts, my life is ruined for a week, two weeks, a month, or six months. I'd tried a lot of different ways to get rid of this problem: therapy, medication, meditation... Nothing ever worked, until I read an article that said the people who had this problem had an overly active imagination, and it would help if they channeled it into something productive, like writing.

I'd always wanted to be a writer. This is literally a childhood dream, one of those you give up when you grow up. I had the story of The Crimson Deathbringer in my mind for years (even started writing it and stopped a few times). When I read that article, I was going through a tough time in my marriage (fighting with your wife is no fun, even for sane people), and my mind had gone into its life-destroying over-drive, so I told myself, "Well, you've tried everything else, let's give this a shot."

And then a miracle happened.

My mind put the same energy it used to put into producing BS and making my life miserable into coming up with stories. Ideas would come to me fast and furious, and I had to stop whatever I was doing several times a day to write them down. I've been OCD-free since then (I know, I sound like a recovering alcoholic). When TCD (cool, eh?) was finished, it took my out-of-control brain half a day to plan my second novel, which is about a nerdy scientist and a sexy female mercenary who use a time machine to defeat an alien invasion.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor