Ask Laurie Wood a question

Laurie Wood

Laurie Wood

Romantic Suspense Christian Fiction
      • Laurie Wood Laurie Wood 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • Your cover should be a work of art and your title should convey *everything* in just a few short words. To me, marketing wise, there is *nothing* more important than your book cover! Especially when most people are browsing online and scrolling through thumbnail sketch size photos. That cover should be atmospheric, clean, match your genre properly, have your hero/heroine(s) look the way they do in the book (no blondes when they should be black-haired, please!), and be SO well done that you want to frame it and hang it over your desk. Your publisher should be willing to do that for you because that is what's going to make a reader stop and check out your book at midnight when they're scrolling through Amazon with a cup of tea on their way to bed. As for your title, it should be something you *can't* find on Amazon if at all possible. My title: NORTHERN DECEPTION is the only one on Amazon and I did that deliberately. It took me a bit of work to come up with it, but it brings MY book to the top of the page when someone looks for it. So, don't just take the first two or three things you come up with for a title and leave it at that...also, quotes from your book can make great titles. Google them, check them out on Amazon and see how unique it is for a title. If it's easy to stick in someone's mind, the better a marketing tool it'll be.
      • like (2)
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
    • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • Join some writer's groups that pertain to your genre and soak up everything you can learn from them. Take writing classes *all* the time about every aspect of writing. Never stop learning. I have binders full of classes I've taken over the years and i still refer to them, and I take monthly classes from a variety of sources. It keeps you fresh and your momentum going forward. Find yourself some buddies, whether through NaNoWriMo or these associations like Romance Writers of America or Mystery Writers of America, etc., and hold yourself accountable with some of them. Network and make friends because only writers know what it's like to try and engage your brain creatively every day, when it doesn't want to be engaged! Write stories for fun that you don't intend to publish because that's how you keep your sense of purpose. Once you get published everything starts to feel like a "job". You need to keep that joy and fun and wonder in your writing or the dreaded "writers block" will show up.
      • like (2)
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      CurrentAllauthor
    • If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
    • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I would tell myself to be more patient with my writing process. One has to live and experience "real" life to be able to write with any kind of depth. When you're in your teens and early twenties I think we all strive to emulate the great writers we admire but we don't always have the emotional capacity that comes from having experienced life's burdens or traumas (unless you've been raised in an abusive environment perhaps) or different cultural circumstances to be able to write stories that are going to grab people and make them feel like it's happening to them.
      • like (2)
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor