Ask Diane M. Johnson a question

Diane M. Johnson

Diane M. Johnson

Thriller Supernatural Suspense Historical Fiction Horror
      • Diane M. Johnson Diane M. Johnson 7 months ago
        Follow
        Author
      • The use of AI as a source for book covers, and even the writing of the book itself, is a hot topic right now. I am not a fan. I am not a fan mostly because I believe that the "art" and "stories" that AI creates comes from training on actual, real work from actually creative and talented hard working artists and storytellers who didn't receive compensation for that hard work and talent. That's wrong. It's stealing, no matter how long winded the techbro argument says that its not. The creators of this AI "art" and "entertainment" are and/or will be making money off of it, and the authors and artists whose work was used to train on, should be compensated fairly. They won't be, which is why I refuse to get behind the AI wave.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 8 months ago
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
      • Diane M. Johnson Diane M. Johnson 8 months ago
        Follow
        Author
      • I think that people who don’t read or like horror think that it’s all blood and guts and scares, and that’s it, when, in fact, a great deal of horror has something deeper to say about the human condition or about society as a whole. It touches on how we might be built to survive, or how we should—or do—function under immensely difficult circumstances. It exposes the flaws of the human condition, helps us face our fears—literally, and it often gives us insight into hot button issues that spur us (hopefully) to think about them from a different perspective. Frankenstein is less about a man’s monster and more about the ramifications of a man playing God.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 1 year ago
      Allauthor
    • When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?
      • Diane M. Johnson Diane M. Johnson 1 year ago
        Follow
        Author
      • I certainly toyed with the idea of writing as a profession. I even wrote a spec script when I didn't really know what a spec script was, of an episode of the TV show "WKRP in Cincinnati." I submitted it to the production company without any real understanding of the submission rules at the time. The producers sent the script back with a thank you, and with an explanation why they were legally not allowed to read it. So yeah, I had the writing bug at a very young age.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 2 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
      • Diane M. Johnson Diane M. Johnson 2 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • My most important tip is to simply find the time to do it. To quote Carver Edlund/aka Chuck Shirley/aka God from the TV series Supernatural, "Writing is hard." Read how to books, but don’t obsess over whose advice is wrong or right. It’s there to help you find your own process. Trust your own process. Find beta readers, but only act on criticism that feels true or that is common among multiple critiques. Rely on professional editors. Don’t be afraid to put the work out there. If you get that far, congratulations! You’re an author!
      CurrentAllauthor
    • How do you feel when people recognize you in public and appreciate your work?
        Follow
        Author
      • Oh hey, I didn't answer this one a month ago. My bad. The thing is, I like my anonymity. I haven't really reached that level of public recognition, and I'm okay with that. People who appreciate my work? It's an awkward feeling. Of course I'm thrilled by it, but I don't seek the spotlight, so I might say thank you. That's it, then move on.
      Allauthor
    • If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
        Follow
        Author
      • There’s a story behind this answer, and it starts with Stephen King. I am a big fan of King's early work. My introduction to horror. When The Shining came out as a movie, I was super excited. The screenplay was written by Diane Johnson. It was a literal calling. I wished I could have been that screenwriter — who happens to be a pretty well known romance novelist too.
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
        Follow
        Author
      • It’s weird how that happens, but yes. I’ve actually had the opposite happen too. I have written characters for books or scripts, and then people have entered my life who could easily, and symbolically represent those characters after the fact.
        Follow
        Author
      • I do read the reviews. And let’s face it. If you put your work out there, someone will not like it.

The movies I love are the same movies my husband hates. We consistently walk away with opposing views. I began reading and reviewing scripts in competition because of one angry critique of my first post-college script. The reader thought it appropriate to judge my personal character along with the work, and that's where I draw the line. That's why I will leave reviews of other books and scripts that are as honest and straightforward as I can make them without dragging the writer through the mud.

Also, it’s fun to look up bestselling books that you loved, then read through the bad reviews. They exist. It happens to every author.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor