Ask Jodi Rath a question

Jodi Rath

Jodi Rath

Thriller Mystery Humor Teen & Young Adult
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • If you could choose three people to invite for a dinner party, who would they be and why?
      • Jodi Rath Jodi Rath 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • Ralph Waldo Emerson, Hunter S Thompson, and Tom Waits for sure. But I'd want my hubby and our nine cats there too! These three men have shaped me throughout the years. Emerson's stance on self-reliance has been paramount in my ability to follow my dream of being a writer. Thompson was unique, creative, and his own person and Waits is the same. I love people who walk to the beat of their own drum.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • DONE--married to my soul mate--with our cat family--own my business--be a full time writer--all complete. I can die a happy woman!
      • like (1)
      Allauthor
    • How do you think concepts such as Kindle, and e-books have changed the present or future of reading?
        Follow
        Author
      • The more opportunities readers have available, the better! I love that there are so many promos available for free books and sales now as well.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • This is difficult to answer. I was a high school English teacher for 20 years and part of my current business is an adjunct for Ohio teachers. I think the look of literary art is very different than the past with more audiobooks, youtube readings and visuals, and literature and art is everywhere--TV, videogames, movies, music, podcasts, radio, artwork, social media, jewelry, crafts, etc--there is more out there today than ever before. So, based on that I'd say more.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • All. Every student is different and they need to be exposed to all genres and nonfiction as well. The most important thing is to engage all students.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • I write cozy mysteries and psychological thrillers. I'd love to write a really great piece of literature like some of the greats back in the day like Emerson or James or Dickinson or Flannery O'Connor.
        Follow
        Author
      • Wow, I've never thought about that. I try to be unique. My series is a culinary cozy series but it has running themes of MS, LGBTQ homeless teens, urban sprawl, and gentrification--which makes it different than other culinary cozies. So, it's hard to compare to another author. Also, a lot of family dysfunction and solutions using effective communication.
        Follow
        Author
      • SO easy to answer--the first in my series--Pineapple Upside Down Murder. I believe MOST authors would say this about their first in series--we are learning so much when writing our first book. While I do believe it is a good story, the plot is linear--I had so much to learn about subplots when I was writing that book.
      Allauthor
    • If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
        Follow
        Author
      • I believe my goal is to get better with each book. For example, from book one to book two--I added two subplots which made the plot so much better. With my last book that comes out 2/28/20, Blueberry Cobbler Blackmail, I've been told by reviewers and beta readers it is the best yet. It is the first book I did a TON of research and the most complex plot yet. I improve the more I write is what I find. I hope that always happens!
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
        Follow
        Author
      • Cozy mysteries are oftentimes thought to be light reading. I believe the cozy series can be light and more fun, but at the same time have very serious undertones and themes running through them when done right. That is what I strive for.
        Follow
        Author
      • I've wanted to be a writer since I was five. I used to "play magazine" with my mom's old magazines cutting out pieces and pasting to make new magazines. I've always wanted this.
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever experienced "Writer's Block"? Any tips you would like to share to overcome it?
        Follow
        Author
      • I really haven't. I'm terrified of it to be honest. I hear about writers with it all the time--but I've not experienced it and I hope I never do.
        Follow
        Author
      • As a teacher, yes, I read them all and I have a notebook to take notes on them. I learn from them. As a HS teacher of 20 years, I know how to weed out the trollers versus the real ones. I welcome good and bad as long as they are honest and provide information to back up their opinions and feelings--this is what helps me to improve and be a better writer.
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • The second draft is always the most difficult for me--when I'm moving things around and fixing problems. It's time consuming and boring to me.
        Follow
        Author
      • I learned a ton. I'm thrilled to be a hybrid writer. I write educational articles in a traditional way. I publish my culinary cozy series as an indie writer. I do screenwriting in a more traditional approach.
        Follow
        Author
      • I was a child who experienced trauma and was an only child. I used reading and writing to escape. I've been writing and keeping a journal as long as I've been able to write. It's therapy for me. I didn't start writing full-time until I was 44 years old, though. So, it was a long road to get there.
        Follow
        Author
      • Themes, plots, characters are the top three in my opinion--a reader has to relate to the characters meaning there has to be universal themes that they connect to in that character and the plot has to be strong to keep the reader turning the page.
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
        Follow
        Author
      • Perseverance is key to any creative job you are doing to make a living. And LOTS of hard work. It won't come easily.
        Follow
        Author
      • I'm an introvert and a private person, so honestly, it makes me uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it and I am always nice, but I never get used to it.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor