Ask Stefanie Stratton a question

Stefanie Stratton

Stefanie Stratton

Contemporary Romance Romantic Suspense New Adult Romance Romance Women's Fiction Literary Fiction Fantasy Teen & Young Adult
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
      • Stefanie Stratton Stefanie Stratton 4 years ago
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • People always say, “Write what you know,” and this is very true.  But it is also fun to write things you don’t know, too. When I write, I do a hearty mix of both, but I almost always incorporate a part of me or an experience into the characters or storyline. It makes things more dynamic when you write from experience. 

In “Behind the Canvas,” a large part of Elana’s character—her insecurities, fears, and experiences—were based on things I’ve dealt with. Is it the same experience? No. I’ve taken many creative liberties to amplify it for dramatic effect, but I believe when a writer dives into themselves, the passion and conviction in the writing is blatantly clear because it’s coming from a real place.
      • like (1)
      • Stefanie Stratton Stefanie Stratton 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • Writing from the opposite sex’s POV can be a challenge because we (as women), never truly learn everything there is to know about the opposite sex. Hell, half the time, I don’t understand what’s going on with my own thoughts. 
        My character range would be slim if I limited my scope to only the men I’ve dealt with through the years. Instead, I watch mannerisms, tones, and body language, mimicking that on paper. And for things that you cannot see, I pose questions to dig deeper. The differences between how men process situations and why they process them the way they do compared to women is intriguing. Sometimes it’s similar, too. And when I write intimate moments, knowing what their thinking and what their body is experiencing is helpful to create a mind-blowing scene. 

The goal is to write believable characters, each with their own voice even if their voice differs vastly from yours.  Depending on the subject, it can be easy or it can be a challenge; either way, the joy comes from figuring it out.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor