Ask Lily Lawson a question

Lily Lawson

Lily Lawson

Children's Poetry
    • Nina Romano Nina Romano 1 year ago
      Reader
    • I looked for Joanne's question but didn't see it. I only see questions from ALL Author, so I'm not posing a question either. Wishing you much continued success with your poetry.
    • like (1)
      • Nina Romano Nina Romano 1 year ago
        Reader
      • Found Joanne's question...so here's mine.

Do you read an entire poetry collection from one particular particular poet at a time to get a feel for their literary devices and how they put them to use in poems? And here's part B of my question--do you read poets who are not British? And if so who are they?
      • like (1)
        • Lily Lawson Lily Lawson 1 year ago
          Follow
          Author
        • I have read some Indie Poetry Collections and Collections by Mary Oliver and Brian Bilston. I bookmarked your list that you shared on Twitter and I am trying to work my way through it. I am not much good at reading whole collections. I tend to pick a poem from here or there that catches my eye and do not question nationality. I sometimes listen to poetry readings but again its ones that catch my attention not a whole session. I recognise that as a poet I rather let the side down in terms of my support of poets.
    • J.C. Paulson J.C. Paulson 1 year ago
      Follow
      Author
    • Hi Lily. I'm a huge admirer of your poetry. Other poets I adore include T.S. Eliot, Percy Shelley and particularly William Butler Yeats. Are any of these among your favourites? Are there other poets you admire?
    • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • Thanks so much for your kindness. I have favourite poems. Some of them are by Indie Poets. I love William Blake's Jerusalem, Don't Quit by John Greenleaf Whittier, Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken, and Caged Bird by Maya Angelou.
      • like (1)
        Follow
        Author
      • In writing terms to try it all and publish at least one book in each category - poetry (done), short stories, novel, novella, a series and nonfiction. There will likely be more poetry than anything.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 1 year ago
      Allauthor
    • If you could choose three people to invite for a dinner party, who would they be and why?
        Follow
        Author
      • I'm not bothered about meeting famous writers. I would prefer to have dinner with my writing friends. Don't ask me to pick 3!
        Follow
        Author
      • I think there will always be a level of appreciation for literary art by individuals not a generation thing. The popularity of a particular form may be seen to be connected with a specific generation but that is not universal.
      Allauthor
    • How do you think concepts such as Kindle, and e-books have changed the present or future of reading?
        Follow
        Author
      • The idea of using an electronic device means their is a privacy attached to reading which is not present in hard copy format. I think this allows for a broader range of reading choice which can only be a good thing.
        Follow
        Author
      • haha you think I have a schedule? I fit my writing in when I can. I am a martini writer. (Any time, any place, anywhere) and I use whatever I have at the time.
      Allauthor
    • If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
      Allauthor
    • When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
        Follow
        Author
      • Given I write poetry - that its not a dead genre and contemporary poets do write poems you can understand - it's not like Shakespeare ( not that he didn't write good stuff) .
        Follow
        Author
      • You need the 'pick me up' factor. I find titles hard. My new Rainbow collection has taken the pressure off that, thank goodness.
        Follow
        Author
      • Yes I read them. I need to know if I am hitting the right mark or what I should work on. The worst I have had is one 2 star no comment one. The rest were great. I am always shocked by the things people say, it's wonderful but I know its hyperbole. A person I trust valuing my work means a lot to me. I use excerpts from the good reviews to promote my books but it has taken nearly 2 years to feel confident to do that. If I really love a book and its an indie and/or someone I know I tell the author as well so they know I mean it. I tend to shout about books I love, if you follow my Twitter you might see that.
        Follow
        Author
      • My first book was some of the best poems I had written up to that point, some of it was over 20 years old. I am still pulling from that archive but less now and its always mixed with current poetry. After this series I won't be going that far back again. I write poems and stories without the aim of writing a book but now I know as I write that some of it will end up in one. I didn't think that would happen until after I published My Father's Daughter.
        Follow
        Author
      • Something that keeps you turning the page - it needs to be a good story with characters you care about and root for.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor