Ask David W. Berner a question

David W. Berner

David W. Berner

Literary Fiction Biographies & Memoirs
      • David W. Berner David W. Berner 4 years ago
        Follow
        Author
      • I read every review. I take all of them seriously. But that doesn't mean I take them to heart. The good or the bad. I also try to remember this incident: I had several reviewers absolutely destroy a novel of mine in its pre-publication review process. Hated it. I changed nothing because I believed in it. That book was honored for adult fiction by the prestigious Society of Midland Authors for 2019.
    • AllAuthor AllAuthor 4 years ago
      Allauthor
    • What is that one thing you think readers generally don't know about your specific genre?
        Follow
        CurrentAuthor
      • I write a fair amount of essay/memoir. General readers are uninformed about memoir. They think it's a life story, an autobiography. Memoir is about an aspect or a specific theme of a life, it can be about almost anything.
        Follow
        Author
      • Mornings mostly. Early in the day. Coolness of the morning. I work in a shed on my property that is my writing space and the early light of day is glorious for writing.
        Follow
        Author
      • All of them. Even just a line or two. I would be a terrible editor because I would continually tweak. But it was Leonardo da Vinci who allegedly said, "Art is never finished; merely abandoned."
      Allauthor
    • Have you ever incorporated something that happened to you in real life into your novels?
        Follow
        Author
      • All the time. I write memoir, so yes. But even in fiction, there is much that is taken from real life. Hemingway did the same thing. So did many others.
        Follow
        Author
      • Start writing earlier. I was in my forties before I started writing books. I wish I would have been more serious about it when I was younger.
      Allauthor
    • Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
        Follow
        Author
      • I see so many social media posts and articles about how writing is so draining and a chore and hard and daunting. I find it to be none of this. Yes, it's work. But it's joyful work. It is a gift. But it is also a job, or should be treated that way. Don't wait for inspiration or the muse. You'll wait forever. Just get to the work. Write.
        Follow
        Author
      • I have been a long-time journalist but I was enamored with stories all my life. My mother was a big reader and books were all over the house. I wrote my first book when I was in second-grade. The Cyclops was an undersea adventure that my teacher helped me make into a paper mache book. I still have it.
  • Click to comment..

Error:

Warning:

To Boost your book promotion
Feature Your Book
on AllAuthor